Pelican is a static site generator, written in Python. Highlights include:
- Write your content directly with your editor of choice in reStructuredText or Markdown formats
- Includes a simple CLI tool to (re)generate your site
- Easy to interface with distributed version control systems and web hooks
- Completely static output is easy to host anywhere
Ready to get started? Check out the Quickstart guide.
Pelican 3 currently supports:
- Articles (e.g., blog posts) and pages (e.g., “About”, “Projects”, “Contact”)
- Comments, via an external service (Disqus). If you prefer to have more control over your comment data, self-hosted comments are another option. Check out the Pelican Plugins repository for more details.
- Theming support (themes are created using Jinja2 templates)
- Publication of articles in multiple languages
- Atom/RSS feeds
- Code syntax highlighting
- Import from WordPress, Dotclear, or RSS feeds
- Integration with external tools: Twitter, Google Analytics, etc. (optional)
- Fast rebuild times thanks to content caching and selective output writing
Why the name “Pelican”?¶
“Pelican” is an anagram for calepin, which means “notebook” in French. ;)
How to get help, contribute, or provide feedback¶
- Installing Pelican
- Writing content
- Publish your site
- Creating themes
- Importing an existing site
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What’s the best way to communicate a problem, question, or suggestion?
- How can I help?
- Is the Pelican settings file mandatory?
- Changes to the settings file take no effect
- I’m creating my own theme. How do I use Pygments for syntax highlighting?
- How do I create my own theme?
- I want to use Markdown, but I got an error.
- Can I use arbitrary metadata in my templates?
- How do I assign custom templates on a per-page basis?
- How can I override the generated URL of a specific page or article?
- How can I use a static page as my home page?
- What if I want to disable feed generation?
- I’m getting a warning about feeds generated without SITEURL being set properly
- My feeds are broken since I upgraded to Pelican 3.x
- Is Pelican only suitable for blogs?
- Why does Pelican always write all HTML files even with content caching enabled?
- How to process only a subset of all articles?
- My tag-cloud is missing/broken since I upgraded Pelican
- Since I upgraded Pelican my pages are no longer rendered
- Contributing and feedback guidelines
- Pelican internals
- Some history about Pelican
- Release history
- Next release
- 3.6.3 (2015-08-14)
- 3.6.2 (2015-08-01)
- 3.6.0 (2015-06-15)
- 3.5.0 (2014-11-04)
- 3.4.0 (2014-07-01)
- 3.3.0 (2013-09-24)
- 3.2.1 and 3.2.2
- 3.2 (2013-04-24)
- 3.1 (2012-12-04)
- 3.0 (2012-08-08)
- 2.8 (2012-02-28)
- 2.7 (2011-06-11)
- 2.6 (2011-03-08)
- 2.5 (2010-11-20)
- 2.4 (2010-11-06)
- 2.3 (2010-10-31)
- 2.2 (2010-10-30)
- 2.1 (2010-10-30)
- 2.0 (2010-10-30)
- 1.2 (2010-09-28)
- 1.1 (2010-08-19)