Pelican is a static site generator, written in Python. Highlights include:
Includes a simple CLI tool to (re)generate your site
Easy to interface with distributed version control systems and web hooks
Completely static output is easy to host anywhere
Ready to get started? Check out the Quickstart guide.
Pelican’s feature highlights include:
Articles (e.g., blog posts) and pages (e.g., “About”, “Projects”, “Contact”)
Integration with external services
Site themes (created using Jinja2 templates)
Publication of articles in multiple languages
Generation of Atom and RSS feeds
Code syntax highlighting
Import existing content from WordPress, Dotclear, or RSS feeds
Fast rebuild times thanks to content caching and selective output writing
Extensible via a rich plugin ecosystem: Pelican Plugins
Why the name “Pelican”?#
“Pelican” is an anagram for calepin, which means “notebook” in French. ;)
You can access the source code at: https://github.com/getpelican/pelican
How to get help, contribute, or provide feedback#
- Installing Pelican
- Writing content
- Publish your site
- Importing an existing site
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What’s the best way to communicate a problem, question, or suggestion?
- How can I help?
- Is the Pelican settings file mandatory?
- Changes to the settings file take no effect
- I’m creating my own theme. How do I use Pygments for syntax highlighting?
- How do I create my own theme?
- I want to use Markdown, but I got an error.
- Can I use arbitrary metadata in my templates?
- How do I assign custom templates on a per-page basis?
- How can I override the generated URL of a specific page or article?
- How can I use a static page as my home page?
- What if I want to disable feed generation?
- I’m getting a warning about feeds generated without SITEURL being set properly
- Can I force Atom feeds to show only summaries instead of article content?
- Is Pelican only suitable for blogs?
- Why does Pelican always write all HTML files even with content caching enabled?
- How to process only a subset of all articles?
- My tag cloud is missing/broken since I upgraded Pelican
- Since I upgraded Pelican my pages are no longer rendered
- How can I stop Pelican from trying to parse my static files as content?
- Why is [arbitrary Markdown syntax] not supported?
- Contributing and feedback guidelines
- Pelican internals
- Some history about Pelican
- Release history
- 4.8.0 - 2022-07-11
- 4.7.2 - 2022-02-09
- 4.7.1 - 2021-10-12
- 4.7.0 - 2021-10-01
- 4.6.0 - 2021-03-23
- 4.5.4 - 2021-01-04
- 4.5.3 - 2020-12-01
- 4.5.2 - 2020-11-22
- 4.5.1 - 2020-11-02
- 4.5.0 - 2020-08-20
- 4.2.0 - 2019-10-17
- 4.1.3 - 2019-10-09
- 4.1.2 - 2019-09-23
- 4.1.1 - 2019-08-23
- 4.1.0 - 2019-07-14
- 4.0.1 (2018-11-30)
- 4.0.0 (2018-11-13)
- 3.7.1 (2017-01-10)
- 3.7.0 (2016-12-12)
- 3.6.3 (2015-08-14)
- 3.6.2 (2015-08-01)
- 3.6.0 (2015-06-15)
- 3.5.0 (2014-11-04)
- 3.4.0 (2014-07-01)
- 3.3.0 (2013-09-24)
- 3.2.1 and 3.2.2
- 3.2 (2013-04-24)
- 3.1 (2012-12-04)
- 3.0 (2012-08-08)
- 2.8 (2012-02-28)
- 2.7 (2011-06-11)
- 2.6 (2011-03-08)
- 2.5 (2010-11-20)
- 2.4 (2010-11-06)
- 2.3 (2010-10-31)
- 2.2 (2010-10-30)
- 2.1 (2010-10-30)
- 2.0 (2010-10-30)
- 1.2 (2010-09-28)
- 1.1 (2010-08-19)